Based in Jersey Channel Islands, I provide a confidential, professional and courteous service to an international client base of individuals and SMEs. I review written materials for readability, sensibility and quality assurance prior to publication. It’s the smaller details that always tell the bigger picture and I often find the syntax doesn’t always sit well in a rushed communication. Multiple errors and inaccuracies can say a lot and potentially tarnish a brand image. My specialist expert services are exactly what you are looking for, if you want to be adroit in word usage with meticulous precision.
Examples of work undertaken
- eLearning courses for all sectors
- Brochures, leaflets and advertising material
- Feature articles for print or web
- Training course materials
- Website content (web pages and blog posts)
- Business procedures and policies
- Paralegal documents
This is the art of querying through the application of editorial standards. It’s about understanding the subject matter, the context in which the copy is to be written and the message which is to be conveyed. It requires holistic stylisation and includes:
- Changing grammatical and spelling errors
- Checking and correcting punctuation
- Spotting errors and omissions
- Highlighting inconsistency
- Avoiding repetition
- Identifying any lack of continuity
- Examining content to be audience-appropriate
- Keeping in line with a business brand and image
Following typesetting or agreement on the author’s final text, I provide a very careful final draft check of online or hard copy material before it is printed or published. This is achieved by ensuring that all the accepted recommendations of the copy-editor have been met and only through persistence and determined attention to detail.
- Confirming the right sense and meaning of text
- Validating correct accreditations of fact, references and quotes
- Testing functionality of online materials / user acceptance
- Providing final polish on typographical, grammar, spelling & punctuation issues
Bruno L’ecuyer, Chief Executive, Investment Migration Council, Geneva, Switzerland
Colin Tansley, Managing Director, Intelect Group, Douglas, Isle of Man
Mike Cottam, Consultant, Intelect eLearning, Douglas, Isle of Man
I like to discuss with my client the proposed work to be undertaken and the scope of the activity required.
A quote is then provided with my contract terms for agreement with my client.
I generally request that copy or finalised copy documents are provided to me in Microsoft Word format and by email.
I use RMail, which is an encrypted email service, ensuring confidential communication at all times.
Copy-edited content is marked up with recommended changes reviewed and discussed, in order to finalise the author’s draft.
Following the copy-editing stage, the typeset copy is proofread for accuracy and any remaining typographical errors are then notified to the typesetter accordingly.
Finalised copy is submitted to my client for sign off approval, prior to printing or publishing.
I have a keen eye for detail, excellent writing skills and have always enjoyed the structure and use of the English language. As a member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading, I work within their codes of practice operating guidelines.
My working career has encompassed roles in training, business development and business take-on, banking, investment and funds administration and trust environments. Latterly I worked in the international investment migration sector.
My wealth of experience has also secured my understanding of the corporate governance and regulatory world and its associated compliant language.